10 March 2018

Ikigai


One of my recent reads was Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long Life by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles, and I took notes on this in my bullet journal.
It's of a similar vein to some other books I love, on topics like Hygge, Lykke, and Lagom, in that it looks at a concept from another country and how it can improve our lives. The book concentrates on the people of Okinawa in Japan, who live healthily to very old age, and what they may be doing that extends their lives.
I found this book very interesting but a little confusing in how it covered the idea. It seemed to cover two different concepts - Ikigai (the concept of finding purpose in life), and why the Okinawans live so long (which went into things like diet and exercise).

I found both these strands fascinating, but it did feel a bit confused between the two. I think I'd like to read another book on Ikigai to see how it handles the topic, and I'd love to also read a cookbook of Okinawan recipes.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...