11 April 2016

Lego exhibition

For my birthday I headed off to Edinburgh for the Lego exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland. It turned out to be quite a small exhibition, with only about 5 display cases, but I enjoyed it all the same.
The cases showed various types of architecture and transport, from the ancient world to the modern day. There was also a huge version of one of the Lewis Chessmen (although I didn’t even realise that’s what it was until I got home and saw the thumbnails of my photos – its large scale threw me off).
I didn't get a chance to play with any of the Lego as there was a large group of cubs/scouts using it!
The highlight of the exhibition, however, for me, was the model of the museum itself that was under construction. It had been built as far as the floor that I was standing on, so it was easy to look around and compare features. I was amazed that the model drew my attention to aspects of the museum I hadn’t noticed before, like the mosaic floors.

And, best of all for me (as a (twice) graduate of Heriot-Watt University), was the tiny version of James Watt. The marble statue of James Watt in the museum is similar to the stone one on the university campus.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...