27 October 2014

Peruvian-inspired outfit for a Blythe doll

When I visited Peru I loved the colourful traditional outfits that the people wore, especially on the floating Uros Islands on Lake Titicaca (where I also got an opportunity to try on some of the clothes!).


I'd already made a Peruvian outfit for one of my Petite Blythe dolls (she was my travel doll when I went to Peru), so I decided to have a go at making something similar in a larger scale. 
I experimented with paper pattern pieces until I came up with something I was happy with, and here it is! You can download the pdf of the pattern here.

I used felt to make the outfit, because I wanted bright colours (and also because it's so easy to sew!).

1. Cut out the pattern pieces from felt.
2. Sew a ribbon on the top of the skirt, making it long enough to tie in a bow at the back.
3. Add some ricrac braid or other trim.
4. Embroider some flowers and other embellishments.
5. Sew an inch or two at the back of the skirt, to keep it closed.
6. Braid some embroidery threads and sew some tiny pompoms to the ends.
She is of course accompanied by her pet llama!
I used a plain white t-shirt under the waistcoat. Although I based it on Peruvian clothes, I think it's also got a bit of a European feel to it, perhaps because of the ribbon that I used.

This should be a fairly easy pattern to scale to other dolls, I think. Just make the top of the skirt the same as the doll's waist measurement, and the length between the armholes on the waistcoat the same as the armpit to armpit measurement.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...