01 May 2014

Kodomo no Hi: Origami fish

I thought it would be fun to make some items to celebrate the Japanese festival of Kodomo no Hi (Children's Day) which takes place on May 5th each year. The festival was originally Boys' Day, but was renamed.

The main decorations displayed on Kodomo no Hi are carp-shaped kites attached to a pole. Traditionally the top one is black to represent the father, the next one red to represent the mother, then different coloured ones to represent each of the children. 

I used this tutorial for making my origami carp. I haven't used the traditional colours for my origami carp, instead I chose some origami papers that looked harmonious together.

I'll be bringing you more Kodomo no Hi inspired crafts over the next few days, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...